Butte County is a great place to live and we want to keep it that way by increasing the quality of air. Homeowners can help increase the air quality of Butte County by participating in our unique Wood Burning Device Change-Out Program.
What is the Wood Burning Device Change-Out Program?
Butte County Air Quality Management District has teamed up with the US Environmental Protection Agency to offer an incentive program to assist homeowners in changing out their old, uncertified wood burning devices for new ones. The goal is to reduce the harmful emissions released through the smoke from a wood burning device. Partners include participating area retailers and the Hearth, Patio and Barbeque Association. Now is the time to take advantage of this offer as Year 3 of the three year program has just begun.
Why should I participate?
Smoke from wood burning home heating devices is a large contributor to air pollution during the wintertime in Butte County. This smoke oftentimes contains gases and toxic fumes, which can cause irritation in the eyes, nose, and throat, as well as respiratory disease. The increased use of home heating devices paired with the common weather conditions that cause air to become stagnate contribute to the decreased quality of air in Butte County. Newer, certified devices reduce these harmful emissions and increase the quality of air both inside and outside of your home.
What are the benefits?
- Cost Savings
- Newer models are 50% more efficient than older, non-certified models
- Newer models use ⅓ less wood for the same amount of heat
- Healthy Living
- A newer home heating device will decrease the amount of harmful products inside your home by 55%
- A new device will also decrease your exposure to harmful pollutants that have been linked to serious health problems
- Safer Home
- Updated heating devices reduce the amount of smoke released during the burning process, which means a decreased buildup of dangerous creosote
- Newer devices reduce the risk of house fires
How do I Know If I am Eligible?
To be eligible to participate in this program you must meet two requirements.
- You must be a homeowner in Butte County
- You must allow the replacement and verified destruction of your existing uncertified wood stove or fireplace insert
There are different levels types of offers. You may qualify for a:
- Wood to wood device change-out: $1,000
- Wood to gas or pellet device change-out: $1,750
- Income Qualified (wood, gas, pellet) change-out: Up to $3,000
To find out more information and fill out an application, check out the information page!