Here are the top five ways NOT to choose a chimney sweep to work on your fireplace or chimney system:
- Google “chimney coupons and deals” and go with the best deal you can find. It’s all about the money you can save, not the job that is performed.
- Call your buddy who does home repair to come over and shine a flashlight up the flue and tell you everything is “good to go”.
- Ask Siri who is the closest chimney company to your house.
- Dig out the yellow pages and let your fingers do the walking; or heck, just close your eyes, point and pick someone!
- It’s too much trouble to choose. I’ll take my chances.
If this sounds familiar or you know someone that chooses his or her chimney sweep each year in one of these five ways you may want to make this easy for you.
Top Five Ways to Choose a Qualified Chimney Sweep in your Area:
- Go to the CSIA website and look a up the closest certified sweeps in your area by zip code. Every sweep must hold a current certification in order to be listed on this website. The Chimney Safety Institute of America is the premier chimney certification organization in the US.
- Google the service you are looking for followed by the town or zip code to pull up the local companies in your area. Find the map listings and look over the reviews for those in your area and call the one that has the best reviews and customer satisfaction ratings.
- If reviews are equal or not available, go to the websites and see if they have the NCSG (National Chimney Sweep Guild) and CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) logos on the website. Check out the services pages to make sure they do the service you are looking for as well as their About Us page to see their years of experience.
- Go to third party review sites and compare the reviews to find the one you believe to be the best choice.
- Ask your friends, co-workers and family for referrals and go through the suggestions above to find the one that is the best fit for you and your family.
While this may look like a long procedure it only takes about 10 to 15 minutes to find a very well qualified, certified, professional chimney sweep in your area.